Blink! That's all the time a visitor takes to judge your business from your website. You have just about a second to make an impression that's convincing enough for the user to invest more time checking your services.
To turn those brief moments that a visitor spends on your site, to your business advantage, takes a lot of planning and meticulous hard work. All website design engagements with us go thru the following steps:
Careful planning goes a long way in ensuring returns on your investment in your web presence.
Ideation : We start the planning process by holding multiple discussions with stakeholders to understand your domain and the various messages they want to deliver from the website. This forms a good starting point.
Next, your business is analysed from 2 key dimensions:
1. Competition: This is vital, if you need to stand out in a differentiated way from your competitors. Their website is analysed for the messaging, positioning, creatives, depth and scope of content and this forms key input to us for our website.
2. Target Audience: Discussions with stake holders helps us identify your target audience. We efforts to research their personas, browsing habits, demographics, phyche etc
We now have all the required data to start working out the high level structure of the website.
Information Architecture: Identify the various pages in the website with a summary of what goes into each page. The kind of content, both in terms of scope and level of coverage is drafted. We also identity the number of menus and the names of links in each menu.
We organise the content and flow of the webstie based on research conducted during ideation phase. The goal is to come up with an information architecure that balances users expectations and desired business outcome.
It is vital to understand that most visitors follow the following chain of thought when they land at your website:
1. Firstly, they want to know if they are in the right place to begin with. This is where most leave your website if its not properly designed. We need to catch their attention and make them feel that they will get what they are looking for here.
2. Next they will look further and ascertain in some detail if you offer the exact service or product they are looking for.
3. At times you may not have something better that what the user is looking for. This is good and most visitors will notice this.
4. Finally, convinced, they want to know what to do next. Call for action. Your website should make it easy and simple for the visitor to get in touch with you.
Its with understanding that we propose an information architecture for your website.
The best laid plans can foul up if not executed perfectly. We focus of the following 4 components when delivering a killer website:
1. Content : Depending on the engagement model, we understand to get content authored from experts. It should be original and adequate in terms of scope and depth. The style of narration should be extremely lucid and engaging. We recommend running content production thru 2 different teams. The first just gives all the data, text in a raw format. These are subject matter experts and their forte is in their understanding of the domain. Next we run this raw content by copy editors who weave the content into an engaging narrative.
2. Visual Style : Balanced and creative use of visual styles is essential for successful website. Some of the style elements we focus on:
a. Page Layout: Maintaining a balance between text and graphic and selecting a layout that offers and easy-on-the-eye presentation of material, guiding visitor to the most relevant/important message in an intuitive manner.
b. Colors: Maintianing consistent theme colors and palette. Using off palette colors creatively on some pages to highlight or underplay elements.
c. Graphics: Use of graphics and infographics is key to communicating ideas. Relevant and original images/graphics that are consistent in style across the website go a long way in making your website successful.
d. Fonts : Typography can greatly enhance the design of a web page. Use of different sizes and style of fonts brings about a clear visual hierarchy. Care should be taken to ensure selection of fonts that render consistently across browsers and devices.
3. User Friendly : Surfing your website should be an easy and pleasurable experience. In terms of both, the visual appeal and the depth of content coverage, the website should respect the visitor’s time and deliver an experience that’s in line with the brand image you wish to create. Attention should be paid on the following elements as they have a direct bearing on a visitor’s experience:
a. Navigation, menu structure and hierarchy of menu items in case of a bigger site with many pages.
b. Compatibility, the website should perform well across browsers.
c. Accessibility for everyone including blind, disabled and elderly.
4. Trendy Design : If your website is not in line with what’s “fashionable”, people will tend to assume your business is outdated and take you for a not so smart company. That’s definitely not the impression that you wish to create. Following are some of the design trends that are in vogue today and we use them often in our projects:
a. Responsive design: The site should be compatible across all devices - desktop, laptop, smart phone, tablet.
b. Large photo or solid fill backgrounds: This is a great eye catcher and is rather prevalent across all modern websites.
c.Flat design/ material design: Simple clean and crisp designs.
d. Infographics: Present a lot of information in a small space. Eye catching and interesting.
e. Single page website: These are very popular today. We really do not advice this until absolutely necessary as they can easily get confusing unless it’s a very small website and also its a little difficult for SEO too.
Once all the hard work is done and your website is all ready to enthrall visitors, its time to plan going live! There are 2 areas where we collaborate with you:
Publishing your website - This involves selection of the right hosting environment, registering a domain name, setting up the server and configuring it. There are a number of fine details that need to be set up for your site to function properly and be SEO friendly. We also set up webmaster dashboards for you with analytics code included in your web pages. This helps you monitor visitors to your website and their browsing patterns. A useful activity that throws up a number of areas of improvement.
Maintenance - You need to keep refreshing content of your site, add new pages and perhaps blog posts. You will also need to keep updating the visual elements to stay trendy and modern. Depending on your need, we have multiple maintenance models in place for you to choose from.